Healthy kids recipes – easy fish cake fingersI call these fish cake fingers because they are fish cakes shaped into fingers. Your children will love to make these with you although be prepared for a bit of a mess. Of course you can shape them into any shape you wish. They are a meal in one and always a winner when we have little guests for tea.
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
300g fish, skinned and boneless
½ mug of peas
¼ pint of milk
1 bay leaf
1 egg, beaten
½ mug of breadcrumbs
- Boil the potatoes for 15 minutes until soft and allow to cool
- Poach the fish in the milk with a bay leaf for 5 minutes, remove and leave to cool
- Simmer the peas for 5 minutes, remove and leave to cool
- Pass the potatoes through a ricer or just mash and place all ingredients in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Once cooled, mix all the ingredients together and then shape into cakes or fingers, coat in the egg and then breadcrumbs and fry in a little oil until crisp. For the healthy option, place on a baking tray and bake in an oven 180C/Gas Mark 5 for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are crisp.
Serve with a salad or freshly steamed broccoli.